Anyox war einst eine kleine unternehmenseigene Bergbaustadt in British Columbia, Kanada. Heute ist es eine verlassene und weitgehend zerstörte Geisterstadt. Die größte Kanadas.
The company town was a very large operation with onsite railways, machine shops, curling rink, golf course and a hospital. In the spring of 1918, Granby Consolidated built the first wooden tennis court in Canada, for additional recreation. That same year, incoming ships brought the Spanish flu epidemic to Anyox. Charles Clarkson Rhodes, the Chief Accountant for the Granby Consolidated operations in Anyox, died on October 29, 1918, while helping to treat patients in the Anyox Hospital. Dozens of workers and residents of Anyox died from that flu epidemic.
In the early 1920s, concrete pioneer and dam engineer John S. Eastwood designed a hydroelectric dam which, standing 156 feet (48 m) high, was the tallest dam in Canada for many years. Anyox was almost wiped out by forest fires in 1923, but the townsite was rebuilt and mining operations continued. Acid rain from the smelter denuded the trees from the hillsides which soon became bare.
The Great Depression drove down the demand for copper, effectively the beginning of the end for Anyox. Operations continued, but were steadily scaled down while the company stockpiled 100,000,000 pounds (45,000 tonnes) of copper, three years of production, that it was unable to sell. The mine shut down in 1935, and the town was abandoned. Salvage operations in the 1940s removed most machinery and steel from the town, and two forest fires, in 1942 and 1943, burned all remaining wood structures.
(Direktlink, via Nag on the Lake)